It is hard to imagine life without girlfriends. I think I have been particularly lucky with the lot that I have had through the years. Just last night I spent an hour on the phone, talking long distance with Kari, a close girlfriend I have had since the fourth grade! I'm not sure if it is a fair measurement of a person, but I definitely pay attention to how many old friends a person has. It has a been a fairly reliable gage as to whether or not we will become friends. People that discard their friends easily, give me the feeling that they see most things as disposable...those are not the types of people I tend to get along with. Although, I do feel there is a limit as to how much bad behavior is acceptable. The old phrase "misery loves company" has come knocking at my door more than once-but just one time is enough to discover that it is not the company in which I wish to be in.
A while back, I spent a little over a year renting a house with my dearest girlfriend, Diana. We had both just ended serious relationships, and needed each other. Emotionally and financially we began our residence together on a rather low note. We gradually made a home of our little house, and things got better. Soon we were enjoying the freedom of being single, and began to again appreciate old interests. We had a few rituals, that to this day I miss. Diana was up first, she would start the morning coffee, shower and then bang on my bedroom door.I quickly learned that she was not a morning person! I would shower, while she did her hair and make-up. Then it was time to wake up Michael, who also was not bright eyed or bushy tailed in the morning. This was kind of tough on me because I wake up happy and ready to greet every day. They were having none of that! Off we would go in a various directions. At that time in my life I was trading commodities at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, and was usually the first one home. Michael came home after school on most days and would get started on homework. Diana would call when she was leaving work and I would start the evening coffee. I consumed a lot of coffee when I lived with Diana!
Once she arrived home, I would start dinner, which no matter what we had as a main course ALWAYS started with a garbage salad. After that Michael would disappear to watch television, and Diana and I would discuss all the details of our day, over more coffee. The amazing thing is that we would very often end up laying in my bed chatting until 2 or 3 in the morning! We talked about everything, like only best friends can do. Eventually, she got back together with her ex, and they married and had 3 beautiful children. That year with Diana was a great time in my life. Had we not been there for each other, it could have ended up being a very sad time for both of us, but instead it was wonderful and full of self discovery. I hope everyone is lucky enough to have that one friend in their life like I have Diana in mine.
Garbage salad:
(put dishes you will serve the salad on in the freezer until ready to eat)
head of chopped romaine
1/2 head chopped iceberg
chopped tomato
sliced cucumber
sliced onion (use sweet vidalia's whenever possible)
chopped carrot
avocado wedges
raisins or craisins
chopped cashews
boiled egg
1/2 can corn (or fresh when available)
1/2 can red kidney beans
shredded cheese (whatever you have on hand)
fried bacon
grilled chicken
croutons
dressing of your choice
and the most important ingredient-
a good friend to talk to while you slice and chop all of the above!
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ahhh... I remember that year! We spent a chunk of summer in the house with you guys when our jerk of a landlord refused to fix the central air and we were literally cooking at our house! Memories...
ReplyDelete