Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Dear Mr. President

I have voted every year since I was of legal age. Sometimes the candidate I voted for won, sometimes he did not. The man in office currently is the one I am counting on! No idea where it came from - but I decided to write him...and I thought I would copy you on it-

Dear Mr. President,

I am a full time college student in pursuit of a second career. I weighed many factors before I decided to go back to school. The economy is something that every American needs to look at. Deciding what the appropriate path is can be very difficult. I had a secure job with a prestigious restaurant (where I actually had the pleasure of meeting you, during one of your campaign fundraisers). In my position I could not help but feel that I was in no way contributing to anything of substance that mattered to me. My parents are part of the baby-boomer generation, which will soon be retiring. My son is entering his third year at Indiana University. I worry for them, as well as myself about health care. I strongly support your plan for comprehensive health care reform. I agree that the goal is to lower skyrocketing costs, to modernize the systems and invest in prevention…but I feel helpless. I am unsure as to how can make a difference.
I do not want to focus on the various failures of past politicians, but instead talk about the prevention you mentioned on March 5, 2009. 100 years ago obesity was observed as a sign of wealth and stature. 70 years ago Americans faced serious illnesses due to vitamin deficiencies. Today malnutrition is no longer limited to insufficient amounts of food and nutrients, but even more so, due to dietary excesses. Child obesity and juvenile diabetes are going to have serious effects on health care costs of the future. Education about proper nutrition seems to be the answer. I realize this means money, but I believe it will cost even more (not only in finances-but in lives and quality of life) if something more is not done. I will get my degree (in nursing) and find a way to help, hopefully as an advisor to the white house (ideally under you!!!). Until then what can I do?

Full of hope,


The Happy Heffarina



Ps-the burgers and fries you bought for your team from 5 Guys, looked great…but did you ever get a burger from Kuma’s Corner in Chicago? If not, maybe I could treat you to one while we discuss the above!



This part I did not send to him~
2 lbs 90/10 ground sirloin
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 can sliced pineapple (use fresh when available)
1 package bacon
1 sliced Vidalia onion (into ring slices)
4 Hamburger buns
BBQ Sauce

Place beef in a large bowl
add ginger, soy sauce and red pepper flakes and mix together (by hand)
Form 4 burgers
fry the bacon in a frying pan, when done cooking place on a paper towel to drain excess fat
on a grill add:
burgers
pineapple rings
onion rings

the pineapple and onion are done when you have warmed them all the way through and they have nice grill markings on both sides
cook the meat to your desired temp
add the buns to the grill so they get a bit toasted
on a plate stack the bacon, pineapple, onion and burger
add your favorite BBQ sauce and enjoy with baked beans on the side

Stopping at ONE burger is practicing moderation ... GOOD LUCK!

1 comment:

  1. don't even get me started on health care costs! we're just starting to get the bills from m3's birth and we'll well past $2500... and that's with insurance! i can't imagine what people without insurance do! well, if he calls you, ask him about my bills.

    ReplyDelete