Friday, May 22, 2009

The JRP Tuna Sandwich

Do you remember your first true love? We all had one. Do you remember his face and his name? I do. For me it was Jeffrey Robert Powell. He was the first true love in my life. I was a senior in high school, he was a few years older. I thought that he was handsome, smart and funny. I felt as though he had everything in the world to teach me, and I couldn't get enough of him. Once on a late,cold winter night, we were outside, clearing snow away and spent hours talking. With every word he spoke, I fell deeper in love with him. I didn't want it to stop snowing because I didn't want our shoveling task to come to an end. I wanted that moment to last forever. Eventually we stopped shoveling, and sat in the alley staring up at the sky as the snowflakes gently landed on us. It was if we were the only two people in the world..it was magical. The temperature eventually drove us in. After all the shoveling, we had worked up an appetite, but nothing was open because it was after 3am. Jeff started to dig around in the fridge and cabinets, and said he had a plan. What he ended up putting on the plate for me was wonderful! Eventually, we grew apart, broke up, and lost touch with each other. Years later, it's easy to forget the sad occasions, and what is left are the memories of the good times, recollections of joyful experiences and the JRP Tuna Sandwich!

Combine in bowel:
drained can of tuna (pat it dry with a paper towel)
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp. sweet pickle relish
2 Tbsp. finely chopped celery
2 Tbsp. finely chopped carrot
1 chopped boiled egg
3 Tbsp. mayo
1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
season to your taste with celery salt and fresh ground pepper
Spread the tuna salad on toast and add lettuce and tomato.

I learned a lot from Jeff, and when I think of him...I smile and then I got a mean craving for the above!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment